Since the dawn of the 21st century, the evolution of artificial intelligence has begun all over the globe. Earlier the jobs that were conducted by experts have now been mimicked to a certain level of accuracy by the machines. Today all the social media, magazines, newspapers are covered with the wonders that are done by AI. But before one understands the future of AI, he must know what it really is.
Artificial Intelligence Perceptions :
AI is defined differently by different experts in the industry but one core idea always resides behind every definition that is the simulation of the human brain.
With the evolution of the brain over millions of years among all the species that preceded humans, today we have the most complex structure known as the human brain. It is a result of the experiences that all the species that preceded us. A situation is experienced differently by two different people. Take the situation as a form of data and experience as the connections between the data. With each connection, there is a new possibility and there are many permutations further. But what are the parameters to judge which connection is better than the other one? It is the result related to that particular outcome. In terms of the evolution of human neural networks (connections between neurons, they were based simply on survival. For eg. If species survived and another died in the same situations, the neural networks of the survived species will pass on further that we have now in the 3 bound machine we all have.
The very key point that is derived from the above is the importance of data. Millions of years of data stored in our memories, resulting in more neural connections making it smarter than other species on earth to survive. Human intelligence is a very vast subject but in today’s date, a small part is used in the building of artificial intelligence.
Artificial intelligence mimics the working of human brain mentioned above to make smart decisions. Artificial intelligence is the ability of a machine to make smart decisions on the basis of data it has been provided. Today we have machines that can make decisions from the data that are presented to them. But making a smart decision is considered as the tendency to make a decision in out of box situations where the machine is not trained for that situation.
A very large part of Artificial intelligence that is machine learning is how to make machines learn from past experiences and take decisions in the future. Eg. Predicting the prices of stocks, etc.
- Weak AI is based on making decisions on a particular kind of task such as Amazon Alexa. Weak AI is a core application of machine learning where the machine is trained to make decisions on a specific kind of data.
- Strong AI is the need of today’s world where a machine makes decisions in very unfamiliar situations.
The working of weak AI is implemented to a big extent in today’s world and problems where specific tasks are needed to be complemented, weak AI does it with the help of complex algorithms and all. The area of research is inclined towards STRONG AI which is the Future of AI. With the advancement of technology, the research is shifted from building complex algorithms to understanding the human brain.
What sparked the thought of AI:
Even before the machine learning had begun, data analysis and predictions were made in the past manually in the 1990s and further. Features and patterns in data were manually found and calculations were made through software.
With the profoundness and growth of programming languages, pattern recognition is possible through the codes that are implemented using mathematics.
But the major challenge like mentioned above is only to build an AI that has the capability to think of its own.
Machine thinking on its own would be a breakthrough in the future which is the challenge today.
There are many movies like Robot, the terminator, ex machina where the very advanced bots are present working smarter than humans but in practice, we are very much far from that situation.
How AI is used in today’s date:
- Automation: It is the way in which a manual process is done through machines automatically. From simple to complex tasks, they can be automated depending on how efficiently they are done. Automation is based on pre-programmed rules whereas AI is based on replicating human thinking. There are many examples of this. Robots in hospitals monitoring behaviors of patients, painting done by machines, the best and exciting part are about self-driving cars. Self-driving cars though currently in trial mode are the best example for automation. They are also being used for delivering products. Future of AI is going to be majorly influenced by industries where automation is introduced.
- Health care: AI is playing a major role in healthcare and most part of the research is done in healthcare as this area is a necessity rather than a luxury. For example, artificial limbs are developed for people who have a disease like ALS where humans of muscles decrease. According to some researchers, the human brain will be better able to communicate with artificial limbs in such diseases.
Detecting diseases at early stages is an amazing application of AI. Most of the diseases start with a pattern that remains unnoticed. Parkinsons diseases, faced by over a million people in India per year start creating patterns years before the first stage of the disease is diagnosed. Changes in gait patterns(walking patterns), or say the behavior is visible way before the disease is diagnosed. Currently, the gait patterns are analyzed though AI and it is predicted what the chances of Parkinson’s in the future are. Challenges are there but the success in prediction rates is increasing day by day.
Healthcare AI is very useful in organ transplant sector. The data of a transplant patient is analyzed along with the details of the donor’s information. Collectively all of this gives a good overview of how the transplant should be done between recipient and donor depending on the success of the transplant.
AI is also used for the purpose of drug creation nowadays. A program powered by AI was designed to create new medicines for curing EBOLA virus of the existing ones. Using of AI is very essential where repetitive tasks such as asone X-Rays or ultrasounds are done.
Future of AI in the industry:
In the upcoming 5 years, almost 72% of all the sectors of industries will be boosted by the implementation of AI. For example, China has already created an AI-powered news anchor that reads headline news. Almost 4 to 5 hour of the day is covered by this AI-powered anchor.
With a boost in the e-commerce and internet, all the business are launched at a certain level on the online platform to get the user feedback in some way. The data taken from the behavior and responses of the customer is used by most online business to build new policies. Most of the companies believe the stats provided by AI helps them in getting a competitive advantage for adjusting policies, prices, etc.
Patterns are everywhere. By discovering patterns more deeply we can replicate the repetitive work by AI. Computers can be so much useful in financial management as they would be less prone to the so-called human errors. It is expected that in the next 10 years almost 40 % of the financial managers will be replaced by robots for money advice. Future of AI results in more exciting career options mentioned below.
Setting goals: By setting goals for a task the AI sensors can be used to detect how much the work is done and how it should proceed. It will take the current scenario from the sensors to make connections and meaning to judge what should be the next thing they should proceed to fulfill the goal. Organizations will be greatly benefited by this as the bots will give real-time feedback for what the next step should be.
According to a report from Harvard University, almost 54% of the professions are related to doing repetitive works. People fear that the evolution of AI will lead loss of jobs but taking it on another perspective, people can invest their time in doing something more useful than doing repetitive tasks. AI will do the repetitive work and people will be left with more time for enhancing human capabilities. People will be more productive as they will be doing skill enhancing jobs like data collection, extracting important features from data to judge which to pass in the machine.
FEEDBACK to employees: Employees believe that the feedback from their upper management motivates them to work more. But most of the time managers are busy hence not always available for the employee. Most managers lack the habit to give time to employees to observe their work advice and judge them. However, this is another wonder of AI that bots will be able to communicate with employees give them tips to improve their work. This will greatly enhance their work as their goals will become much organized.
Analysis of situations to monitor the current scenarios of what is happening in offices to maintain discipline, rules, and regulations, AI plays an integral role in this.
The new online tools available for stock market analysis are completely based on AI. The stock market is a big industry that seems completely random to people but it contains very chaos patterns. These tools use the previous stats to predict current stock analysis. Data is passed through several layers of neural networks to get the final prediction.
Artificial Intelligence has allowed marketing teams to more accurately predict the target audience through the data of response of customers from the past. More targeted advertisements result in a greater reach to people along with greater income. Customer and seller interaction are also proceeded by AI bots nowadays. This allows in much efficient, direct answers in most of the cases. In case bots are unable to reply to a question, human interference is required.
Artificial Intelligence across the Globe:
- Developed nations like the United States, China, Russia are inclining themselves more towards AI. The growth in the GDP of these nations is a direct consequence of AI.
- The processes that were earlier done manually are now directed by powerful algorithm resulting in greater efficiency, accuracy, in quick time and less human interference.
- It allows people to explore other areas of interest rather than being stuck in a small area of repetitive task. By exploring areas of interest results in the overall growth of a human.
- These countries have large populations yet the technology advancement has resulted in overall more time and growth to each individual.
- The economic growth, mortality rate, literacy rate, etc are the primary factors to determine the happiness index of a nation. Once a nation is successful in advancing its technology the literacy rate will obviously grow as unskilled work or repetitive work will not be done by humans anymore.
- People in developed nations can invest their lives freely in broader aspects to expand their brains, hence improving the meaning and quality of their lives.
- Developed nations seem to be more prosperous and happier because they invest their lives in creative and exploring works which broaden the mind.
- In our country, this is a major problem that most of the work is unskilled work or say repetitive work. A broader view of this perspective is given below.
Future of AI in India:
Artificial intelligence is a very uncommon thing in India even if it is growing all over the globe. The very first problem is labor work:
- Labour work can be defined as work that is repetitive. Once the instructions to follow the work are practiced, the labor works on an autopilot mode because he/she is now perfectly aligned and trained to do work.
- Manual work like data feeding can be very easily done by software. But still, there are so many people associated with simple jobs like that.
- Sewage cleaning is done through machines is most of the countries but in India labor are appointed for that too. Future of AI is a lot promising for the environment.
- The biggest problem is these works are not exploring after a certain level of exploration. The mind of people starts wandering here and there because repetitive work actually does not require mental presence. This result in a lack of energy as all the energy gets lost in mind wandering here and there.
- The cycle continues and we are almost at the bottom of the happiness index among 196 countries.
- The big population in India and lack of technologically advanced industries results in more inclination towards unskilled labor and less exploring jobs.
- People fear that advancement in technology and bringing AI to a country will ultimately lead to a loss of jobs. But the best part will be people would be employed in much skill enhancing jobs that solve bigger problems that AI cannot.
- Meanwhile, the government will have to create necessary platforms where the loss of jobs, the introduction of AI technology and the lives of people go side by side. The financial gap due to loss of jobs cannot be ignored.
- The government, on the other hand, is importing technology from countries like CHINA, JAPAN, and the US. Skilled engineers in India go outside India because there is a greater possibility of skill enhancement and overall human development.
- Political intervention of government in the technology industry has lead to very slow growth of AI in India.
Future of AI in India in next 5 years:
With the initiative of projects such as Make in India, technical start-ups have boomed up in India compared to the previous ten years. But technical hubs such as Bengaluru, Delhi are also dependent on other countries to import technology and improvise on them. Due to lack of funds in India and better opportunities outside people tend to prefer to work for technical hubs like US, China, Germany. There is a low number of core AI related start-ups in India right now.
There are many reasons for this. One is already mentioned above about so much dependence on unskilled labor for most of the work. Once AI hubs establish in INDIA, jobs will be lost in numbers by even common man. This is absolutely true but there are more perspectives to this argument. When AI will take over these jobs, people will be required in data collection, annotation, data cleaning, etc. that make the AI work. More jobs will be created but the sudden transition will be difficult.
In India government too is hesitant in bringing AI technology at a major scale due to the reason mentioned above. Still, some technically smart states have governments that lay down projects based on AI to technocrats like recently Kerala govt launched the AI technology to check whether the rider is wearing a helmet or not. People undermine this fact that there are so many problems in India that can be solved by AI. Hence AI revolution is a need for the future of AI in India. In other nations, AI is bringing comfort and luxury but in India, it will solve the basic survival problems of people.
Fields such as computer vision, Natural language processing are growing at a very small pace in India. Computer vision is a field that is largely dependent on datasets. Hence even the human jobs will be done by computer but lots of people will get jobs in collecting data that is an interesting and exploring job. NLP is a field that gives results on the basis of patterns in texts. Audio processing will still take big time in India to flourish as currently there is no work related to it on a major scale.
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE IN AI: Future of AI
AI is not something that will completely take over humans that must be understood. People should understand the importance of emotional intelligence that comprises 96% of a human. No matter how good a dataset becomes, and however strong and complex algorithm one writes, AI will be still very far away from humans on the basis of emotional intelligence. A human being overall functions on the basis of his memory (data) and emotions. A machine while only gives an answer on the basis of the memory that it has been given and computed by an algorithm. With the growth of AI, people will have more time to learn about higher dimensions. There is a popular documentary INNSAEI on Netflix that reveals the power of intuition and emotional intelligence that is lost in today’s world due to the kind of work we are used to doing on.
AI will be a major breakthrough in enhancing lives of people if it is understood properly along with its comparison to human brain so that people can understand their worth and do more creative work to improvise their lives.
If you have any comments and suggestions regarding the Future of AI, do mention in the comment box